• FIJ reporter Daniel Ojukwu regains freedom

    Fij reporter daniel ojukwu regains freedom - nigeria newspapers online
    • 2Minutes – Read
    • 308Words (Approximately)

    A reporter with the Foundation for Investigative Journalism (FIJ), Daniel Ojukwu has regained his freedom from Police detention.

    FIJ on Friday confirmed in a post on X that Ojukwu has been released by the Nigerian Police Force “after 10 days in police captivity”.

    Hundreds of protesters including journalists, activists, leaders of Civil Society Organisations, and advocates of free press on Thursday stormed Police Headquarters, Abuja, to demand Ojukwu’s freedom on Thursday.

    READ ALSO: IGP not involved in Daniel Ojukwu’s detention – Police spokesman

    The visibly furious protesters, led by the country Director of Accountability Lab Nigeria, Friday Odey, demanded immediate and unconditional release of Ojukwu, saying his continued detention is equivalent to an extrajudicial trial and punishment.

    “We also condemn the incessant use and abuse of the remand order process, which is observed to be the new machinery for which the Nigeria Police continuously violates the rights of Nigerian citizens,” Odey said.

    The Nigerian Police on Thursday said that the Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun was not involved in Ojukwu’s case.

    READ ALSO: Group demands immediate release of Daniel Ojukwu

    Police spokesman, Olumuyiwa Adejobi, made this disclosure while giving an update on the detention of Ojukwu.

    “The IGP has no hand in this case. The team handling FIJ’s case is headed by a commissioner of police, who is competent and ready to do justice all the time,” Adejobi said on X.

    “The Police Force has not erred in this case at all. The law must take its course. If Daniel Ojukwu produces a substantive surety today, he will be released on bail.”

    FIJ in an earlier report said that Ojukwu was arrested by the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) of IGP Egbetokun.

    According to the report, the journalist was initially detained at the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), Panti in Lagos state before being transferred to Abuja.

    See More Stories Like This